Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 25/08/2015

25 August 2015

Capital One Cup Exit For Pools

Pools were knocked out of the Capital One Cup by Premier League side Bournemouth who won 4-0 with a strong display at The Vic. 

Bournemouth showed their Premier League quality from the off this evening as Christian Atsu skipped forward to smash a thunderous strike at goal within the first minute which crashed against the crossbar and bounced back into play. 

The visitors were slick with their passing and quick on the break and Pools were worked hard all over the pitch in a tough first half. 

With the Bournemouth attack often beginning from the full back position – both Adam Smith and Tyrone Mings were a constant threat – Moore’s side had to be strong in defence. 

And they were for the earlier exchanges of the first half, with a couple of decent blocks from Scott Harrison and a decent interception from Michael Duckworth. 

Adam Bartlett pulled off a great save to deny Junior Stanislas who had been set up by former Middlesbrough man Lee Tomlin as the visitors looked for an opening. 

Rhys Oates was bright for Pools at the other end, with plenty of running and determination on show as Pools were starting to hold their own. 

But on 30 minutes the floodgates opened; Yan Kermorgant meeting a ball into the box to drive a shot past Bartlett from ten yards to make it 1-0. 

Just four minutes later and it was 2-0 as Tomlin fed it in for Dan Gosling who drilled home from a central position, leaving Pools with a real task ahead of them. 

On 44 minutes it became all but impossible for Pools as Atsu curled a lovely freekick into the top corner from the edge of the box, leaving Bartlett with no chance. 

Bournemouth slowed their pace slightly after the break and it was a quieter start to the second half. 

Adam Bartlett made a brave save to deny Lee Tomlin a goal early on but The Cherries did find another goal on 64 minutes. 

The impressive Atsu fed it through for Stanislas inside the box and, with Bartlett drawn off his line, the winger finished with ease into an empty net to make it 4-0. 

Brad Walker went close to a consolation for Pools on 75 minutes when he smacked a freekick goalwards but Adam Federici got fingertips to it to edge it over the bar. 

There was another chance for Pools as Michael Duckworth fizzed a ball into the box from the right but Rakish Bingham sent the final shot just wide of the far post on 82 minutes. The pair combined again on 84, but this time Bingham saw his shot deflected into the side netting. 

There was no consolation goal for Pools though and Ronnie Moore's side this year's Capital One Cup competition after being well beaten by a professional Bournemouth side. 


Attendance: 4890 (164 Bournemouth) 

Full Time: Pools 0 Bournemouth 4 

Pools: Bartlett, Duckworth, Harrison, Boyce, Carroll, Magnay, Featherstone, Woods (Walker 65), Oates (Smith 65), Paynter (Fenwick 46), Bingham. 
Subs Not Used: Denton, Jones, Oyenuga, Nelson-Addy. 

Bournemouth: Federici, Smith (Butcher 77), Cargill, Distin, Mings, Atsu (Ritchie 77), Stanislas, Gosling, MacDonald, Tomlin, Kermorgant (Rantie 65). 
Subs Not Used: Allsop, Surman, Ward, Costa. 

Advertisement block