Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 03/05/2014

3 May 2014

Final Day Defeat For Pools

It was a disappointing end to 2013/14 for Pools as they lost 2-0 to Exeter City at The Vic. 

Exeter City dominated the first half here at The Vic, limiting Pools to very little in terms of chances on goal and the visitors made their most of some strong pressure. 

Scott Flinders found himself in an early battle with Jimmy Keohane as he battled for a corner in from the left but despite pressure from the Exeter forward, Flinders held the ball on the line.

Exeter were exploiting space down the right and put together some neat flowing moves to open Pools up and Cooper’s men were worked hard at the back.

There was brief respite for Pools as Marlon Harewood saw his shot deflect into the path of Michael Duckworth but the right back has his effort saved by Christy Pym.

Mathew Gill robbed Brad Walker of possession on the half way line to set up Keohane for the opener on 24 minutes; Keohane pushed forward to the edge of the area and lifted a lovely effort over Flinders and into the top of the net to make it 1-0.

Exeter were thwarted in their next attempt on goal as Flinders pulled ot a great save to deny Keohane a second, while at the other end HArewood saw a fierce strike sail over the bar.

Jonathan Franks was liveliest for Pools and put in plenty of running for his side but there remained little to test the visiting keeper – despite Cooper’s men seeing more of the ball since the opening goal. 

Exeter City were next to find the back of the net though as an impressive ball up field by Jordan Moore-Taylor picked out the lively David Wheeler and, with Flinders coming well off his line, the Exeter forward skipped around the Pools stopper to finish into an empty net. 

There was a late chance for Pools to get back into this game just before the break as James Poole was tripped inside the box and the referee awarded a penalty kick. Jack Compton took the kick well but was denied by Pym who pulled out a decent save to block.

Colin Cooper sent his team swiftly back out onto the pitch for the second half and, after a wait for Exeter to join them, the game was back underway.

It remained the visitors though who looked the more dangerous after the break as Pools were wasteful in possession at times and offered little to threaten Pym’s goal.

Marlon Harewood tried on several occasions to lift his teammates with some determined play and his efforts did enough to lift a frustrated crowd inside The Vic this afternoon.

And Pools did look to liven up in the final twenty minutes and they began to work the visiting defence a little harder.

Youth Team forward Connor Smith joined the action on 80 minutes  - another product of the Cllub’s Academy to make his First Team debut – and he got stuck into the attack, having a couple of early half-chances.

But Pools were second best this afternoon and it was to be a disappointing end to the 2013/14 season at The Vic.

Full Time: Pools 0 Exeter City 2

Attendance: 4710 (184 Exeter City)

Pools: Flinders, Duckworth, Collins, Harrison, Holden, Oliver (Hawkins 79), Walker, Compton, Poole, Franks (Smith 80), Harewood
Subs Not Used: Rafferty, Jones, Richards, Rowbotham, James

Exeter City: Pym, Moore-Taylor, Tillson, Bennett, Woodman, Gill (Watkins 76), Dawson (Gosling 76), Grimes, Sercombe (Jay 46), Keohane, Wheeler
Subs Not Used: Krysiak, Butterfield, Baldwin, Nichols

Advertisement block