Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 28/12/2014

28 December 2014

Shrimps Too Strong For Below-Par Pools

Ronnie Moore's two-game unbeaten run in charge of Pools came to a sharp halt at The Vic this afternoon as a professional Morecambe outfit took all three points with a 2-0 victory. 

Morecambe were first to try their luck on goal when the busy Paul Mullin hit a powerful strike from the edge of the box at Scott Flinders’ goal. The Pools keeper blocked the effort and Neil Austin was there to clear the danger away for a corner. 

And it was the visitors who went on to dominate the opening spell of the game, dominating from midfield as Pools struggled to find anything to really trouble the Morecombe defence in the opening 15 minutes. 

Ronnie Moore’s side began to find their feet around the twenty-minute mark and there was a decent effort on goal as Matty Bates sent a deep cross in which found Scott Fenwick at the far post. His point-blank header was blocked out for a corner but Pools failed to capitalise from the set piece. 

Morecambe though, had more luck from the corner as they broke upfield to take the lead on 22 minutes. Jack Redshaw was the man to hit the opener as he took the ball down to drill a shot which went across goal and into the far corner. 

And following the goal, Pools really struggled to find any momentum in another disappointing half of football here at The Vic. 

There was a narrow escape shortly after the goal as Ryan Williams hit a drilled left-footed strike at goal which just scraped wide of the far post when a second goal would really have killed the game for Pools. 

A Brad Walker freekick which was tipped over by Scott Davies and a Dan Jones header from a corner which landed on the roof of the net were as near as Pools went to equalising but much more was needed in the second half if they were to get something from this crucial match. 

And, after a shaky start, Pools again showed a slightly more determined approach to the game following the half-time team talk as they began to see more of the ball at the right end of the pitch. 

But visiting keeper Scott Davies was not tested enough, with the Pools attack being broken down en route to goal almost every time. 

Pools stopper Scott Flinders pulled off a decent save to deny Ryan Williams with a good freekick on 72 minutes – Flinders reacted well to tip the pacy effort over the bar. 

Ronnie Moore changed things around on 74 minutes, pushing Franks up front with Ironside and adding Jack Compton on the right wing, as he looked to give his side the spark that was missing. 

And the change gave Pools a brief boost as they began to force the visitors into making a number of mistakes at the back. 

But there was a lack of cutting edge in the box for Pools all afternoon and Morecambe used the counter attack again on 81 to show the hosts how it should be done. Jack Redshaw picked up the ball just inside the area to fire past Flinders to make it 2-0 and put the game beyond Pools. 

It was another disappointing result for Pools who go into the New Year as the bottom club in League Two and Manager Moore will be hoping to add some new faces to his side in January to give Pools a lift in their battle against relegation. 

Full Time: Pools 0 Morecambe 2 

Att: 4108 (189 Morecambe) 

Booked: Fenwick (35), Holden (79), Jones (90) 

Pools: Flinders, Austin, Bates, Jones, Holden, Duckworth (Schmeltz 62), Featherstone, Walker, Franks, Fenwick (Compton 74), Ironside. 
Subs Not Used: Maxted, Lanzoni, Hawkins, Nearney, Green. 

Morecambe: Davies, Edwards, Hughes, Parrish, Wilson (Beeley 63), Goodall, Williams, McCready (Drummond 31), McGowan, Redshaw, Mullin (Ellison 58). 
Subs Not Used: Arestidou, Devitt, Kenyon, Amond. 

Advertisement block