Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Reserves Hit Four In The Snow

13 February 2013

Pools Reserves came from behind to run out comfortable 4-1 winners over Grimsby Town on a snow-hit afternoon at Billingham Town.

The game kicked off fifteen minutes earlier than planned due to concerns over the bad weather but after a slow start Pools warmed to their task and they brushed the Mariners aside during a one-sided second half.

 The first effort of the afternoon was a spectacular one as young trialist Dennis Knight curled a lovely left-footed effort towards the top corner only to see it cannon off the top of the post and stay out. 

As the snow continued to fall quite heavily the conditions got more and more difficult, meaning for few clear-cut chances as the game developed. 

Jordan Richards saw the power taken off his drive by a deflection and the ball was held by the keeper, while at the other end a lovely through ball by Will Peers released Dayle Southwell but his shot also took a deflection and went wide. 

Town took the lead midway through the first period when Southwell found enough space on the edge of the area to curl a precise shot past Adam McHugh and in to the bottom right corner of the net. 

Pools lost Jordan Richards to injury on the stroke of half time but pulled back on level terms at the start of the second period when a left wing cross was bundled over the line from close range by Knight. 

The striker could have doubled his moments later with a long-range shot which was well held by Fleming, while the keeper also had to react smartly to turn Hawkins' cross-shot over the bar as it threatened to loop in. 

Hawkins then turned provider as Pools went in front for the first time; his lofted cross from the left side of the penalty area was met by Luke James' head and he glanced it in to the top corner of the net. 

And Micky Barron's men extended their advantage when James again found the net just short of the hour mark, this time receiving the ball on the edge of the box with a neat first touch and then firing a low shot which was deflected beyond Fleming for 3-1. 

The dangerous Knight headed Holden's cross at goal but saw it held by Fleming, while he was again denied by the keeper when he got on the end of James' right-wing cross; substitute Zak Boagey squeezed the rebound just wide with his first touch. 

Knight didn't give up though and he struck the woodwork again from a free-kick twenty-five yards out which Fleming did brilliantly to push on to the cross bar after the striker had wonderfully floated it over the wall. 

Pools were well on top but found Fleming in inspired form and the keeper had to produce more heroics just after to expertly turn Callum Hope's left-foot drive from the edge of the box on to the roof of the net. 

Knight finally won his personal battle with the Grimsby stopped when he hammered in a fourth Pools goal from fully thirty-yards; a thunderous free-kick curled around the wall which left Fleming with no chance. 

Grimsby were happy to hear the final whistle after a dominant second half showing from Pools which saw the game swing markedly in their favour. 

Full Time: Pools 4 Grimsby Town 1 

Booked: Luscombe. 

Pools: McHugh, Richards (Hawkins 42), Johnson, Buddle, Holden, James, Rowbotham, Luscombe, Riley (Hope 65), Rutherford (Boagey 70), Knight. 
Subs not used: Brown, Foden. 

Grimsby Town: Fleming, Wood, Morral, Griffin (Winfarrah 65), Cuff, Ford, Smith, Peers (Kerr 65), Bryant (Loughran 80), Southwell, Artus. 
Walker, Humble.Subs not used:

Advertisement block