Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 15/09/2012

15 September 2012

Pools were left devastated as a 93rd minute equaliser robbed them of all three points at the end of a classic away performance at Bournemouth this afternoon.

Matt Tubbs came off the bench to fire a late, late leveller for the Cherries after Simon Walton's second half penalty had looked likely to secure a first away win of the campaign for Neale Cooper's battlers. 

It was so harsh on Pools' whose game plan had worked so effectively in stifling Bournemouth's slick passing game and caused frustration among the home crowd. 

The game was definitely a slow burner and the first half was light on clear-cut chances; Wes Fogden headed an effort in to the ground and over after Simon Francis' precise delivery from the right. 

Scott Flinders was forced to make a smart save from Harry Arter's low drive from distance, while Arter turned provider Josh McQuoid from a corner but he headed just wide of the front post. 

After being booed off at the break, the hosts began the second half with greater purpose and McQuoid tested Flinders with a curling effort which was well held by the keeper. 

However, at the other end Pools were also looking a handful on the break with Jonathan Franks enjoying more of the ball and showing some real craft down the right hand side. 

On the other flank, Evan Horwood was doing his best to join in as well and his pinpoint cross was glanced wide by Steve Howard who was playing the main striker role with real strength. 

Substitutes Marc Pugh and Charlie Daniels combined and the former drilled an effort wide of the right-hand post as the home side looked to build up some momentum. 

But that was quickly broken as Horwood ran with purpose on to Andy Monkhouse's through ball and was tugged down just inside the area and the referee pointed straight to the penalty spot. 

Simon Walton had enjoyed his return to the side and he had no hesitation in grabbing the ball to take on the responsibility - which he took on with a calm and composed side foot finish, sending keeper Shwan Jalal the wrong way. 

A minute later Bournemouth came close to offering a response but Lewis Grabban's firmly struck volley was brilliantly parried by Flinders and Matt Tubbs somehow headed the rebound wide of the post when it seemed easier to score. 

MacDonald headed wide from Francis' cross as the frustration grew on the terraces, but with just ninety seconds of injury time left Tubbs broke through the Pools defence and steered the ball home to break the hearts of the 140 travelling fans. ­­­­

Full Time: Bournemouth 1 Pools 1 

Booked (Pools): Walton (74), Sweeney (82) 

Pools: Flinders, Baldwin, Collins, Hartley, Horwood, Franks (Poole 75), Murray, Walton, Sweeney (Lynch 84), Monkhouse, Howard  
Subs Not Used:McHugh, Holden, Richards, Humphreys, James 

Bournemouth: Jalal, Francis, Cook (Daniels 54), Grabban, Arter (Pugh 53), MacDonald, McQuoid (Tubbs 67), Fogden, Elphick, Addison, Partington  
Subs Not Used:Thomas, O'Kane, Collins, Zubar 

Attendance: 5,308 (140 Pools)

Advertisement block