Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Bury Win Battle At Gigg Lane

23 October 2012

Pools made it 12 games without a win as they lost out 2-1 to swap positions with League One basement club Bury.

There was an early scare for Pools here at Gigg Lane as the hosts broke quickly but fortunately, the in-form Scott Flinders was full alert and pulled off a good save to collect the ball and get things back underway.

At the other end, in a more open start, Jack Baldwin picked up possession just outside the box and unleashed a powerful strike which just stung the hands of Trevor Carson has he stopped it hitting the back of the net.

Flinders was back in action at the other end to deny Andy Bishop with a headed effort as the hosts enjoyed a brief spell of pressure – David Worrall down the right wing was their danger man, testing Darren Holden with some pacy runs.

Pools held firm though and went on to test the home back line with a couple of efforts; Ryan Noble cut in to send a lovely cross in from the left but there was no one on hand to convert, while Neil Austin curled a great freekick at goal from 30 yards which pulled a fumbled save out of Carson to win the corner.

With both sides having enjoyed brief spells of possession, the game had settled into a tighter affair as two struggling teams worked hard not to let the other through.

Flinders pulled off yet another save to palm away an effort from Steven Schumacher, before coming to the rescue as Worrall escaped the attentions to Holden to run through on goal. The impressive keeper narrowed the angle right down to block the effort and deny the hosts a great opportunity.

Pools weren’t as fortunate moments later and, with 37 minutes having passed, a low ball into the box from the left was converted by Tom Hopper who was allowed the space to make it 1-0.

Lifted by the goal, both home players and fans upped their game with the encouragement of the home crowd spurring the players forward.

The busiest man on the pitch, Scott Flinders, made another couple of saves to deny Bishop and Poleon from adding to the scoresheet before the break.

Ryan Noble had Pools’ best chance of the first half when he cut in from the right to shoot on goal but after good work, his final shot found only the hands of Carson.

The livelier Noble had a chance on the stroke of half time when Austin lifted another well-taken freekick into the box but the on-loan striker saw his stab at the ball go over the bar from close range and Pools left the field with much more to be done after the break.

Unfortunately, while Cooper will have been looking for his players to come out fighting after the break, it was Bury who showed the most spirit, pushing Pools back in search of another goal.

And, after threatening a few times, a great strike from the lively Worrall who picked up a cross ball from Joe Skarz on the left before taking a neat touch and sending a looping ball past Flinders gave the hosts a deserved 2-0 lead on 55 minutes.

Ryan Noble though was in no mood to let this game pass by though and he went straight up the other end of the pitch to pull one back for Pools – and he did it in some style. A flick on by Howard set the striker away and from his position on the left of the area, he spotted Carson off his line and sent a wonder-strike over the keeper and into the top right corner of the net.

Pools were on the receiving end of an questionable refereeing decision as they burst forward looking to get back on level terms. After skipping past two defenders, Efe Sodje pulled the enthusiastic Ryan Noble to the 
ground but despite heavy appeals, the official ignored the incident and play continued.

After a short head back to Flinders by Hartley was picked up by Hopper, the hosts looked set to move things out of reach for Pools but great covering by Collins who burst back to clear off the line kept the game alive.

At the other end, Steve Howard had a header on goal from another Austin freekick saved by Carson and an acrobatic effort from Sweeney went high over the bar after a promising break forward.

Pools were given a lifeline when another Noble push forward this time saw the official award the penalty – Neil Austin stepped up to take it but saw his effort crash against the bar and bounce back into play.

Pools continued to press in search of an equaliser – with a determined effort from Nathan Luscombe eventually seeing the winger send an effort through the box only to see it bounce back off the woodwork.

And with no further reply, Pools lost out here at Gigg Lane and dropped to the bottom of League One.

Full Time: Bury 2 Pools 1

Booked: Baldwin (18), Austin (72)

Att: 1877 (119 Pools)

Pools: Flinders, Austin, Collins, Hartley, Holden (Horwood 46), Sweeney, Walton (Franks 76), Baldwin, Humphreys (Luscombe 56), Noble, Howard
Subs Not Used: McHugh, Poole, Richards, Murrray

Bury: Carson, Skarz, Lockwood, Sweeney, Worrall, Schuacher, Bishop (Healy 58), Sodje, Hpper, Doherty, Poleon (Hughes 89)
Subs Not Used: Jones, Marshall, Carrington, Hewitt, Belford

Advertisement block