Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Reserves Fall To Gateshead Defeat

12 November 2012

Pools Reserves were beaten for the first time in three games when they went down 2-1 to Gateshead in the Central League Cup at the International Stadium.

A goal in both halves from home striker Nathan Fisher was enough to seal three group points for the Tynesiders, coming either side of Evan Horwood's equalising free-kick. 

It was Pools who began the brighter and could have gone ahead in spectacular fashion, but Greg Rutherford's overhead kick from close range was held by former Pools' Youth keeper Liam Mooney. 

And it was then the hosts who got their noses in front after Nathan Fisher managed to skilfully wriggle his way in to some space on the edge of the area and drive low past Adam McHugh. 

Charlie Wyke, looking to build his fitness after an ankle injury, looked Pools' biggest threat and he tested Mooney with a low drive, before then striking the post with another effort - the rebound came to the edge of the box where Josh Rowbotham drew a fine save from Mooney. 

Pools came close again moments later when Wyke skipped clear of the Gateshead defence, rounded Mooney and slotted towards goal only for the home defence to recover just in time to hack it off the line - Luscombe's follow-up effort was pushed over the bar by Mooney. 

McHugh saved well from Fisher and then watched Chris Bush's powerful free-kick fly high over the bar as Pools went in one down at the break. 

Gateshead almost doubled their lead at the start of the second period when Fisher found enough space to curl a delicious effort which had McHugh beaten but clipped the post on its way wide. 

The scare lifted Pools who went down to the other end and grabbed the leveller; Nathan Luscombe was felled twenty-five yards out and Evan Horwood stepped up to drill the free kick low in to the corner of the net. 

The ever-dangerous Fisher then pulled two fine saves from McHugh after working his own space on the edge of the box, while Luscombe came close to putting Pools in front when he ran in to head on goal from eight yards but Mooney was there to hold his effort. 

Humphreys ran through on to Horwood's incisive pass and drilled a shot on goal which Mooney blocked away with his feet, before Bush missed a golden chance to restore the hosts lead when he blazed over from close range. 

However, the winner arrived when Fisher turned brilliantly on the edge of the area and then smashed a low driven effort past the helpless McHugh and in to the corner of the net with little over ten minutes remaining. 

Full Time: Gateshead 2 Pools 1 

Pools: McHugh, Baldwin, Buddle, Johnson, Horwood, Humphreys, Rowbotham (Walker 72), Luscombe, Holden (Hawkins 46), Rutherford, Wyke (Boagey 60). 
Foden, Tuck.Subs not used:

Advertisement block