Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 12 Aug 09 at 22:20 PM

Pools Go Through After Extra Time

Extra time was needed for Pools this evening to earn their passage into the Second Round of the Carling Cup.

Chris Turner's men put in a tremendously spirited display to see off Championship outfit Coventry 1-0 - with an Adam Boyd goal in extra time earning the victory.

The game burst into life with Coventry's young team showing an early enthusiasm and there was a chance for the hosts to open the scoring after just 9 minutes of play.

Ashley Cain whipped in a teasing ball from the left wing which found Freddie Eastwood in space at the near post; the former Southend man flashed a glancing header at goal, which just scraped wide of the far post.

But for all Coventry had to offer up front, Pools were a match for the majority of the first half, Gary Liddle in particulr was in solid form and for a period of the first half, it was the central defender intercepting almost everything that made its way into the final third.

And when Chris Coleman's side did make their way into the area, they found Scott Flinders in equally determined mood.

Sky Blues midfielder Adam Walker burst in from midfield to the box before unleashing a low drive on goal - great reactions from Flinders saw the ball blocked with his left arm and then collected as the danger was dealt with.

While Pools offered little to really test former stopper Dimi Konstantopoulos - in goal for Coventry this evening - Jon-Andre Fredriksen looked lively in the centre, working hard to push forward while Andy Monkhouse provided an outlet down the left wing.

There were a couple more chances for the hosts to snatch the advantage going into the break - Sam Collins did well to intercept two aerial balls from Ashley Cain into the area while late in injury time, Jermaine Grandison fired high over the bar from 8yards out when a goal looked on the cards.

Chris Turner will have been the happier of the managers going into the break as his side had held the hosts well to 0-0 with everything to play for in the second half.

And Pools did look brighter after the break, pulling a good save out of Konstantopoulos when Tony Sweeney got on the end of a bouncing long throw from Collins - though the offside flag did go up eventually, the Greek stopper pulled off an impressive block.

A ball into the box from Peter Hartley found Denis Behan in prime position just minutes later and his glancing header had the Pools fans off their feet as it just edged wide of the far post.

As the game went up a gear, the hosts went straight down the other end and tried their luck - a ball in from Cain from the left found Eastwood stooping to head at goal, but again his effort went wide of target.

Once again Chris Turner showed his positive intentions when he added James Brown and Colin Larkin to the action in place of Leon McSweeney and Jon-Andre Fredriksen.

Brown gave Pools a chance when he picked up possession on the right wing and powered in to slide a ball across goal which was intercepted by the defender and Brown won the corner kick.

At the other end Collins blocked brilliantly to deny Walker with a powerful drive while Flinders showed confidence to hold the following shot from McIndoe.

As much of the game had gone - Pools were back down the other end within seconds and James Brown tried his luck against Konstantopoulos when he tried to chip the big keeper on the edge of the box but Dimi came out on top, snatching the ball as it rose above his head.

Adam Boyd fired in a powerful strike from distance which went wide of the near post while Brown had another go at Konstantopoulos, this time with a low effort from just inside the box but once again it was the keeper who came out on top.

As the nintieth minute approached, things got a little tense for both sides; Pools had to deal with a succession of three corners for the hosts while Ritchie Jones burst through the middle with power to drive in low at goal - his effort went wide of target but Pools were looking dangerous in possession with Boyd, Larkin and Brown looking an exciting combination.

A late corner kick from Andy Monkhouse on the left almost found the net when Colin Larkin stuck a foot on the end of a clearance from close range but his effort was just deflected for another corner.

Clinton Morrison had a very late effort on goal when he picked up the ball inside the area from a corner kick to turn and shoot on goal but the ball went over the bar as extra time loomed large.


Extra time arrived - another determined and professional performance from Pools had kept Championship outfit Coventry City at bay in normal time but there were anothe thirty minutes now to play.

And Pools came desperately close to grabbing a goal just after the restart and it came from the unlikely source of Peter Hartley - the former Sunderland man hit a rocket from distance which flew at goal only to be denied by a combination of the post and Konstantopoulos who crashed into the woodwork to deny Pools.

At the other end Turner's men escaped when a Morrison shot hit Collins instead of target - but it was Pools who were looking brightest. The trio of Brown, Boyd and Larkin really upped the tempo for the team and there was some good football on display even at such a late stage in the game.

The breakthrough came on the stroke of half time in the first period of extra time - a determined run by Larkin down the right wing cut the home defence open, allowing the ball to be whipped deep into the box. The ball caught the Coventry defence out, freeing Boyd to pick up the ball in the area, turn and volley past his former teammate Konstantopoulos who could only touch the ball on its way into the back of the net.

The impressive Colin Larkin saved Pools at the other end as he put in a challenge on the penalty spot to clear the danger.

Turner's side had to remain strong as Coventry refused to give up - Sam Collins throwing himself into a challenge to deny Eastwood while Haslam intercepted well inside the box - a drive from Cain almost undid the good work as it skimmed through the box only to scrape wide of the far post.

Scott Flinders made a top-drawer save late in the second period to deny Walker with a fierce effort as Coventry upped the pressure while sub Nathan Cameron hit his effort from 12 yards high over the bar.

It was a tense finale for Pools this evening but Turner's men held on to well adn truly earn their passage into Round Two where they will face Premier League new boys Burley at The Vic.

Att: 6055 (339 Pools)

Pools: Flinders, Haslam, Collins, Liddle, Hartley, Jones, Sweeney, Fredriksen (Larkin 64), Monkhouse, McSweeney (Brown 62), Behan (Boyd 75)
Subs Not Used: Cook, Foley, Austin, Rowell

Coventry City: Konstantopoulos, Wright (Wilson 106), Eastwood, Osbourne, Turner, McIndoe (Morrison 77), Walker, Cian, Grandison, Clarke (Cameron 104), Jeffers
Subs Not Used: Quirke, Blackwell, Grogan

    Latest Match Reports