Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 19 Sep 09 at 16:54 PM

Pools Lose Out At Colchester

Pools lost their first away game of the 2009/10 season with a 2-0 defeat at Colchester United this afternoon.

Penalties either side of the break were enough for The U's to take all three points from a frustrating game for Pools.

While Colchester were solid and organised, they relied heavily on the aerial presence of their front two.

With new loan man Kayode Odejayi joining Clive Platt up front for The U's this afternoon, Pools faced a physical battle at the back with the tall, strong pairing.

Both Platt and Odejayi ensured Liddle and Collins were well and truly tested this afternoon, winning almost everything in the air and bustling for balls on the ground.

And the fact that both Pools' centre halves were to concede penalties against this paring in the opening half came as no great surprise from the official in a frustrating 45 minutes.

There was an early test when Marc Tierney put a great ball in from the left wing with some pace, but his effort escaped the attentions of both U's strikers who lunged without success and the ball rolled wide to safety.

With both Anthony Wordsworth and Tierney finding space down the left wing, Turner's back line were kept well on their toes throughout the opening half.

There were chances for John-Joe O'Toole who saw one effort from the edge of the area scrape wide of the post, while his second was saved brilliantly by Scott Flinders who blocked the effort with an outstretched arm.

Pools did almost steal the lead around the half-way mark when a good corner from Leon McSweeney on the left sailed to the far post where Peter Hartley was waiting to head goalwards - unfortunately Tierney was on the lien to clear.

Odejayi almost got a goal on his U's debut when he rose to glace a header at goal from a John White ball but he saw his chance go wide of target.

Strike partner Platt headed over with a similar effort just minutes later as Pools were forced back.

And while the front two for the hosts enjoyed a great deal of the ball, Brown and Behan saw little of it and were frustrated by-standers for much of the opening forty-five.

When Peter Hartley found Brown with a good ball from the back, the pacy front man beat the offside trap to fire in at goal but Ben Williams blocked the effort with his feet.

And then came the first talking point of the game - a ball into the box from the left saw Collins rise to challenge Odejayi and when the big powerful striker hit the deck, referee Mr Woolmer pointed to the spot.

Kevin Lisbie stepped up to take the kick only to blast his effort high and wide and let Pools' off the hook.

But it wasn't long before the hosts took the lead and it did come from the spot - this time Liddle was the man accused of fouling Odejayi as the pair battled for possession on the ground.

Lisbie showed the courage to step up and take his second attempt - this time the ball hit the top right corner of the net despite Flinders getting a touch to the strike - the goal brought to an end Pools' impressive run of away minutes without conceding which finished at 434 minutes.

Within seconds of the re-start, the referee was back pointing at the spot for his hat-trick of penalties- this time Liddle was adjudged to have handled inside the box.

Lisblie made no mistake again as he just rolled home into the bottom left corner of the net to leave Pools with a real mountain to climb if they were to get anything from this game.

The hosts continued to rely heavily on the aerial threat of their front pairing - and so Turner made his attempt at matching that by bringing on Armann Bjornsson to partner Denis Behan up front, switching James Brown wide right in place of Leon McSweeney.

And the introduction of the big Icelandic did see Pools mix things up a little bit more for a short spell but the hosts were soon back on the attack

Sam Collins did well to intercept a shot by Odejayi from close range while there was a nervous moment as the referee weighed up his options after a strong challenge from Monkhouse.

While Pools did enjoy slightly more possession after the introduction of Bjornsson, Boyd and Humphreys, it continued to be a frustrating outing for Turner's men as the hosts remained one step ahead - intercepting any balls aimed forward for the strikers.

It was not to be Pools' afternoon and Colchester United held on for the three points, while Turner's men faced the long journey home on the back of their first away defeat of the season.

Att: 4259

Pools: Flinders, Haslam, Collins, Liddle, Hartley, McSweeney (Bjornsson 60), Sweeney, Jones, Monkhouse (Humphreys 70), Brown, Behan (Boyd 70)
Subs Not Used: Cook, Austin, Larkin, Fredriksen

Colchester United: WIlliams, Okuonghae, O'Toole, Platt, Lisbie (Ifil 89), Wordsworth (Bender 88), Fox, Tierney, White, Batth, Odejayi (Gillespie 79)
Subs Not Used: Cousins, Heath, Vernon, Hackney

    Latest Match Reports