Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 15 Aug 09 at 16:53 PM

Charlton Take The Points In Vic Clash

Two first-half goals were enough to take all three points away from Pools in this opening home game of the new League One campaign.

Charlton Athletic provided a stiff test for Chris Turner's men this afternoon and, after making the most of their possession inside the first half hour with two goals, Pools were unable to find a route back into the game.

The first chance of the game fell Pools' way; Denis Behan stepped up to take a free kick thirty yards out on goal and slammed a low effort goalwards which skipped over the wall before being well-saved by keeper Rob Elliot down at his left.

The lively Behan had a hand in another strong move for Pools when he cheekily turned the ball away from Miguel Llera before nudging it through to Leon McSweeney.

The right winger made his way into the area where he sent a fierce ball across the face of goal but there was just too much pace on the effort and the arriving strikers just missed their touch.

But while Pools did enjoy their fair share of possession, it was The Addicks who threatened most inside the area; there was a warning sign for Pools when Nicky Bailey picked up a loose ball before squaring it in for Jonjo Shelvey only for him to poke his effort just wide of target.

And Phil Parkinson's men took the lead mid-way through the half - a mix-up at the back for Pools, aided by the wind, saw Steve Haslam hit a back pass too short, leaving Scott Flinders caught in no man's land allowing Deon Burton to run in and capitalise, lifting the ball over the keeper and into the back of the net.

Turner's side did have chance to draw level when Tony Sweeney burst through to middle to lay it on for Denis Behan - the busy striker executed a great first touch to flick it on for strike partner Boyd but his volleyed effort landed in the arms of Elliot.

It was 2-0 to the visitors in the 27th minute - this time though there were no mistakes as Charlton put together a good move to create the breakthrough.

Therry Racon skipped his way into the area from the right wing and lifted a great ball across goal where the influential Bailey was on hand to head home into the top left corner of Flinders' net.

Although this was not the way Pools were expecting to kick off their first home game of the season, the players and supporters alike remained positive and there was a good chance for McSweeney just ahead of the break.

The right winger picked up possession on the edge of the area before firing in on goal - his effort just scraped over the bar but Pools were still fighting and left the field at half time to applause from the home fans.

Andy Monkhouse came to the rescue for Pools early in the second period - a Deon Burton strike on goal looked set to head past Flinders and into the back of the net but the rangey winger threw himself at the ball to clear it off the line and save Pools from going 3-0 down.

At the other end Denis Behan had another effort from a free kick which kept Elliot on his toes - this time the Irish forward sent a low shot in from the left corner of the box but once again the Charlton keeper got enough on it to deny the goal.

With just twenty minutes remaining on the clock, Pools came desperately close to grabbing a lifeline; McSweeney showed great determination to force his way into the box from the right wing before threading a ball through into the middle where Sweeney arrived to fire at goal. The midfielder though was denied by a great one-handed block from Elliot and it was back to the drawing board for Turner's men.

Jon-Andre Fredriksen sent a rocket at goal from just outside the box but the ball went wide of the far post as Pools enjoyed a spell of possession in this second half.

McSweeney got on the end of a Monkhouse cross into the area but his diving header went high over the bar as the clock ticked down.

But while Turner's men did enjoy more possession as the half progressed, there was little to really test Elliot and the game became a little flat.

And so Pools failed to make any breakthrough this afternoon and Charlton Athletic left The Vic will all three points - next up for Turner's men is Bristol Rovers again at home on Tuesday night.

Att: 4408 (505 Charlton Athletic)

Pools: Flinders, Haslam, Collins, Liddle, Hartley (Rowell 77), McSweeney, Sweeney, Fredriksen (Austin 77), Monkhouse, Behan, Boyd (Brown 64)
Subs Not Used: Cook, Foley, Power, Larkin

Charlton Athletic: Elliot, Richardson, Youga, Bailey, Llera (Solly 90), Semedo, Shelvey (Gray 90), Racon, Burton, Sam, Dailly
Subs Not Used: Randolph, McLeod, Wagstaff, Fleetwood, Spring

    Latest Match Reports